Practical IT education that teaches you network and system management. The program is centered around Microsoft and Unix-based technologies, and infrastructure for network and server management focusing on IT security.
Sought after expertise
Technology has many benefits. Norway is considered one of the most digitized countries in the world. Digitization has streamlined the daily lives of individuals and businesses, and is an important source of economic growth and productivity. The vast majority of functions important to society are now controlled digitally, which also creates vulnerabilities and challenges.
Businesses rely on computer equipment, software and network functions. An error in networks or systems may lead to businesses shutting down. This can cause economic loss, or in the worst case, consequences for health and life.
The operation, configuration and management of computer networks and servers has gone from being specifically for IT companies, to affecting everyone. The need for expertise in network and system administration has never been greater.
I was looking for an education where I can be more hands-on, and I have had a steep learning curve. Erik David Martin, student
Practice as a system administrator
Many different technologies coexist in a larger network. The objective of the course is that you should be able to understand and work to control the flow of information and access to information. This includes using best practice as a system administrator in the configuration of network and servers.
The course covers computer structure and function and how different components can be used to optimize performance. Students gain the required knowledge to understand, build, manage and troubleshoot networks. You learn about general IT security, as well as procedures and methods to be able to tailor technical network solutions to businesses.
The program challenges you with real, practical and relevant tasks which give an excellent insight into the challenges and issues you can expect to work with. Heavy emphasis is placed on the mastery of practical skills. Theory is followed by relevant practical work. The teaching combines lectures, online teaching and demonstrations.
The two semesters provide training in computer construction, operation and performance optimization. Students learn methods and techniques to be able to tailor technical network solutions. Both semesters are divided into modules where you concentrate on one topic at a time. The academic year ends with a study project, where you will be able to use the knowledge and skills you have gained throughout the year.
- IT Foundations
- Operating and File Systems
- Network Infrastructure
- Microsoft Server Technologies
- Cloud Computing Foundations
- Introduction to Information Security
- Exam Project 1
- Has knowledge about common terminology and theoretical models used in the administration of ICT systems.
- Has knowledge about the different elements and roles in a project, in addition to an understanding of important concepts within information security.
- Has knowledge about the interaction between different units, operating systems, file systems, processes and access controls.
- Have insights in relevant rules and regulations, security models and guidelines in computer networks and systems administration.
- Has knowledge about the ICT security industry and an understanding of the need for secure and reliable computer networks and systems.
- Has knowledge about vocational updates through practical exercises and sources such as books, articles, journals, Internet and other sources of information.
- Have insights into the history and diversity of the ICT industry, and its place in today’s labour market.
- Can use theoretical knowledge to configure different operating systems.
- Can use theoretical knowledge to implement and manage different components in a computer network.
- Masters different Windows based and Linux based tools to create and manage common services in an ICT environment such as file and print services, web services, FTP services and storage services.
- Can find technical information through books and Internet based services such as blogs, forums and wikis.
- Can identify potential security risks and suggest possible solutions.
- Can troubleshoot computer networks and devices and map the need for actions.
- Has an understanding of ethical principles necessary in the ICT industry.
- Have developed the ethical attitude necessary in the ICT industry due to the access to sensitive information that comes with responsibilities within the industry.
- Can install and configure different Windows and Linux based solutions in accordance with specifications from customers.
- Can evaluate what solutions that best meet the needs of different audiences.
- Can build relationships with peers across different categories within the ICT field, such as security, network, software and hardware vendors.
- Can develop work methods and outline different services and solutions in accordance with relevant specifications.
KThere is demand for the expertise gained on this program. After graduation, you can, among other things, work as a network administrator, system administrator or IT administrator.
The IT lectures at Noroff are carefully considered and performed well. I have learned so much over the course of this one year! Even Fosser, student
Responsibilities will vary between large and small businesses. In smaller businesses , you can take on more responsibilities and carry out more extensive tasks. This can be anything from the installation, operation and optimization of servers and clients, to further development of the company's IT systems. In addition, you can provide support and advice to internal staff as well as external customers.
Students who have completed the network and system administration course can apply to go directly into the second year of Network and IT security.
After those two years, it is possible to apply for accreditation of certification for Network and IT security and then take a Bachelor’s degree in either Digital Forensics, Applied Data Science or Cyber Security at Noroff University College, with the option of studying on campus or online. After admission to our bachelor programs, you can apply for exemption for selected courses based on achieved results in Network and IT security. It will be an individual assessment that is regulated by the Universities and University Colleges Act and regulations on crediting and exemptions.
Alternatively, you can apply for the third year of the Bachelor’s degree with our partner university, University of South Wales. You can choose from several different areas of specialization, for example a degree in digital investigation or data security.