Become a 3D designer and work with games, VFX, visualizing, AR and VR, or in other industries. The program uses the latest technology and working methods, so that you will be ready for employment.
Available for admission
This program is a replacement for the 3D design and animation program, starting from august 2021.
In this one-year program you learn to model 3D environments and objects. You will learn how to create atmosphere with colors, lights and shadows before you breathe life into objects using animation. Finally, you put all of this together into either animated film, illustrations, or in an interactive setting in a game engine.
Work with 3D
As a 3D artist, you work in many different disciplines. Among other things, you are a sculptor who shapes, paints and manipulates digital figures. A 3D artist also sets up lights, composes images, and records film. All this is done with virtual cameras, lights and tools.
A 3D artist also works with technical tasks such as preparation and optimization of 3D models. Setting up systems for animation and having a basic understanding of how to create interactive experiences and games are some of the most exciting parts of this program.
If you want to study 3D in Norway, I would definitely recommend Noroff. Here I learn everything I came to learn, and at the same time, I'm having fun.Tom Hage, student
Ready for employment
The program is developed in close collaboration with the industry. Both Qvisten and Xvision has been involved in designing the study plan. The technological development is going at a rapid pace, and as a 3D artist you must constantly keep up to date on which tools, working methods and technologies are used in the industry. 3D takes place at the intersection of technical knowledge and artistic properties. The program therefore also contains traditional learning about image composition, understanding of form, color theory and aesthetics.
As a skilled 3D designer, you have many career options in a number of industries. Presently, game technology is used in a number of fields, such as interactive productions, training, and as visual effects on major films and TV productions.
There are also career opportunities for film lovers. Former Noroff students have worked on movies such as The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Passengers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, Avatar, The Dark Knight Rises, Terminator, Harry Potter and James Bond.
Former students have also worked on game projects such as Cyberpunk, Star Citizen, Shadow Point, The Division 2, Hitman and Pode.
You do not need any prior knowledge when starting the program. You will learn how to plan 3D projects, and how to build, paint and light simple 3D models. We always have artistic skills such as color, composition, storytelling, and visual aesthetics in mind. Gradually, the complexity will increase, until you can create and deliver both solid and complex 3D products.
You will learn how to create systems to be able to animate objects, and to perform an animation in a credible way. You also get a thorough introduction to game technology, content production and professional working methods.
- 3D and Art Fundamentals
- Light and Render
- Semester Project
- Asset Creation
- Game Engine
- Project Exam
- Has knowledge of concepts and processes used in image composition, color theory, and aesthetics
- Has knowledge of concepts, processes, and tools used in modeling, texturing, animation, rendering and post-production
- Has knowledge of concepts, processes and tools used in the production of interactive experiences
- Has insight into relevant and standardized working methods for planning, preparation, and execution of various work tasks within 3D graphics
- Has insight into regulations for implementation, use and publication of material from third-party manufacturers
- Has knowledge of the 3D industry, and knowledge of the professional fields of film and visual effects, games, simulation, and visualization
- Is able to update their professional knowledge in the 3D field, and to understand the societal importance of the industry from a value creation point of view
- Can apply professional working methods to issues related to 3D development work
- Can apply relevant tools and techniques to create illustrations, images, video, and products in 3D, and give the production finishing touches for optimal results
- Can apply relevant tools and techniques to produce 3D models and textures
- Can apply relevant tools and techniques for rigging and animating 3D objects
- Can find information and subject matter that is relevant for 3D development and the industry’s working methods
- Can map own 3D productions and identify problems, challenges, and needs to implement measures for optimal results
- Has an understanding of the ethical principles in the industry when working with external resources and copyright issues
- Has developed a basic ethical attitude in the practice of the profession, and an understanding of the importance of keeping agreements, deadlines, and budgets
- Can perform work in 3D design and animation, identify the needs of target groups, and arrange their own work
- Can build relationships and networks with peers and across disciplines, for problem solving and collaboration on larger projects
After completing the program, you will have knowledge, skills and competence that will enable you to work in several 3D-related industries. You will know how to visualize apartments, houses, boats, cars, and other structures long before de construction process begins. A skilled 3D artist can create products and elements that only exist in a virtual 3D world. They will also be able to create 3D content for advertising on digital surfaces, and illustrations for print ads.
You will be able to create your own worlds and characters for games, virtual reality, and animated films, as well as elements for visual effects for the film and TV industry. 3D artists can also visualize products for use in several industries, including the design, production, and sale of training materials.
After 3D Art and Games Technology, you will be ready to be employed immediately. If you want more specialization, we recommend moving on to the second year of one of our two-year studies: 3D Art and Games Technology – Content Development, and 3D Art and Games Technology – Interactive.