Practical IT education that teaches you to prevent hacking and computer crime. The growing need for IT security competence provides great job opportunities after graduation.
A constant fight against digital attacks
Digital attacks are a real threat to society and businesses. Loss or theft of sensitive data can have catastrophic consequences for companies. Leaking internal documents with market or production plans can have a detrimental effect on a company’s competitive advantage in the market. In the worst case, this can cause substantial economic loss, as well as undermining customer confidence in the company.
The society's increasing dependence on digital technology means that expertise in IT Security is increasingly sought after. This expertise will be crucial for businesses to prevent future cyber attacks.
What I learn during my studies is very relevant to working life. Emil Heyerdahl, student
The study challenges you with real, practical, and relevant tasks. Magnus Sivertsen, student
Assessing risks and vulnerabilities
The foundation of security lies in assessing risks and vulnerability. Companies employ experts to prevent and protect against digital threats, update and safeguard their systems. A professional with the right knowledge and expertise will be able to evaluate and make decisions about measures to be implemented to secure the company. If procedures used to secure evidence are applied in the correct way, the result can be prosecution.
In the context of security, it is important to understand how software is created and how network traffic can be monitored. Many security tools, hacking tools and malicious codes may be encountered in industry. A sound understanding of programing and strategies to prevent unauthorized access is essential for working in IT security. The objective of the course is that you will develop as a system administrator, develop your own programs and be able to conduct an investigation.
Study program structure
The course challenges you with authentic, practical and relevant activities that give a good insight into the challenges and issues you can expect to work with in the future. There is a heavy emphasis on mastering practical skills. The theory is supported by relevant practical work. The teaching combines lectures, online teaching and demonstrations.
The first year of the course is identical to Network and System Administration, and gives training in computer design, operation and performance optimization. You will learn how to customize technical network solutions.
The second year of the course focuses on aspects of security. You will learn how to interpret legislation, and how security prevention operates through security routines and assessing risks. There will also be a focus on tools that can be used to collect information about networks and systems.
- IT Foundations
- Operating and File Systems
- Network Infrastructure
- Microsoft Server Technologies
- Cloud Computing Foundations
- Introduction to Information Security
- Exam Project 1
- Security and Law
- Cloud Security
- Ethical hacking
- Computer Forensics
- Exam Project
- Has knowledge about common terminology and theoretical models used in the administration of ICT systems.
- Has knowledge about the different elements and roles in a project, in addition to an understanding of important concepts within information security.
- Has knowledge about the interaction between different units, operating systems, file systems, processes and access controls.
- Have insights in relevant rules and regulations, security models and guidelines in computer networks and systems administration.
- Has knowledge about the ICT security industry and an understanding of the need for secure and reliable computer networks and systems that facilitates the integrity, confidentiality and availability of data.
- Has knowledge about vocational updates through practical exercises and sources such as books, articles, journals, Internet and other sources of information.
- Have insights into the history and diversity of the ICT industry, and its place in today’s labour market.
- Has knowledge about the evaluation of own work in relation to the requirements of the ICT security industry, and according to laws and regulations within ICT security.
- Can update own vocational knowledge, practical and theoretical development through practice and participation in conferences, seminars, education and courses in relevant topics.
- Can use theoretical knowledge to configure different operating systems.
- Can use theoretical knowledge to implement and manage different components in a computer network, with focus on security.
- Masters different Windows based and Linux based tools to create and manage common services in an ICT environment and gather information to understand an attackers potential methods and prevent incidents.
- Can find technical information through books and Internet based services such as blogs, forums and wiki’s.
- Can identify potential security risks and suggest possible solutions.
- Can troubleshoot computer networks and devices and map the need for security related actions.
- Can write reports that describe academic choices, reflect over the choices made and refer to relevant sources of information used in the report.
- Has an understanding of ethical principles necessary in the ICT industry.
- Have developed the ethical attitude necessary in the ICT industry due to the access to sensitive information that comes with responsibilities within the industry.
- Can install and configure different Windows and Linux based solutions in accordance with specifications from customers.
- Can evaluate what solutions that best meet the needs of different audiences.
- Can build relationships with peers across different categories within the ICT field, such as security, network, software and hardware vendors.
- Can plan and execute ICT security related tasks both on his/her own, and in teams.
- Can cooperate and discuss best practices in relation to requirements in integrity, confidentiality and availability.
- Can develop work methods and outline different services and solutions in accordance with relevant specifications.
- Can contribute in development within organizations related to security routines, regulations and laws.
The machine must handle virtualization.
Operating system: Windows Pro (not Windows Home)
In addition, the following is recommended:
16 GB RAM
Storage: 1 TB – SSD
We do not recommend MAC with an M1 processor, because the machine cannot handle some software and needed functions.
Career opportunities after graduation
After completing the course, you can choose a variety of career options such as a security employee, an IT security consultant or an IT coordinator. You also have the option of working as a security advisor or as a consultant in an advice agency regarding IT security, communication and operation.
Areas of responsibility will vary depending on the size of the company. In smaller companies, a person can take more responsibility and more comprehensive duties. This means working with everything from installation, operation and optimization of systems, to further developing the company’s IT infrastructure. In addition, you can guide, support and advise within the area of IT security.
It is possible to apply for accreditation of certification for Network and IT security and then take a Bachelor’s degree in either Digital Forensics, Applied Data Science or Cyber Security at Noroff University College, with the option of studying on campus or online. After admission to our bachelor programs, you can apply for exemption for selected courses based on achieved results in Network and IT security. It will be an individual assessment that is regulated by the Universities and University Colleges Act and regulations on crediting and exemptions.
Alternatively, you can apply for the third year of the Bachelor’s degree with our partner university, University of South Wales. You can choose from several different areas of specialization, for example a degree in digital investigation or data security.
Many choose to take CCNA certification through Noroff Accelerate. Our 10-week courses are flexible and effective, designed to fit your everyday life. Cisco's CCNA certifications are among the most recognized in the IT industry, and provide a solid foundation for further careers.
Watch recording of livestream
We recommend watching the latest livestream on Network and System Administration, and Network and IT Security, hosted by Janrik Oberholzer and Justine Moodley 10 March 2023. You can navigate directly to the different programme presentations in the chapter menu.