Front-end Development is the technology education where visual design meets coding, web and UX design. The great need for front-end developers gives great career opportunities after graduation.
There is a growing need for developers who have a combination of technical and visual competency. This two-year course develops the practical skills needed to work in the areas of developing interactive and dynamic products. The course includes both design and technical programming skills.
Web and mobile devices
Front-end development is for those who want to work with developing user-orientated solutions for web and mobile devices. The course is suitable for both beginners in the field, and those who have worked with traditional media and want to work further with developing digital solutions.
At the end of the course you will have the necessary skills in basic design principles, universal design, integrated user experiences and technical solutions that meet current requirements and needs.
There is a growing demand in our industry for competent digital thinkers and we see a need for practical front-end developers.Terje Karlsen, Dinamo
During your studies, you will learn good practice. You will be able to produce interactive web solutions, both visual and technical, and implement an interactive solution from initial idea to finished product. Students will be given the opportunity to build relationships with graphic designers, international designers, programmers and content developers. They will also work with external experts in social media, universal design, search engine optimization and IT security.
Learn coding and programming languages
Students will be introduced to industry tools used in web development. You will learn about the principles of design, how websites and interactive products are created logically and visually and how website technology communicates with underlying systems. The course gives an insight into programming languages such as Java, C based languages, Ruby, PHP and Python, all which have varying strengths and weaknesses and different uses.
Sass is the most important CSS tool learnt by students. In addition, the course covers Less, Stylus and the CSS framework Susy. Towards the end of the course, students will be introduced to AJAX in order to enable them to develop more advanced web based solutions.
The course focuses on developing the product interface between customer experience and system development. Products developed during the course will have aesthetic value, good functionality and accurate technical execution, (implementation, operation, performance). Students will be taught the design process, interaction design and programming. The main objective is a practical skill competency achieved through a teaching programme consisting largely of practical work within industry.
Students are given an insight into how to implement entrepreneurship. A career as a front-end developer requires competancy in workflow, automation and greater efficiency for both the work process and the product. The final project exam can be attached to a job application or proposal for a real production.
- Project methods
- Web based and communciation technology
- Design 1
- HTML and CSS
- Term task 1
- Interaction design
- Basic programming
- Workflow 1
- Portfolio assessment 1
- Project exam 1
- CSS framework
- Design 2
- Term task 2
- Industry knowledge
- Workflow 2
- Portfolio assessment 2
- Project exam 2
- knowledge of concepts and industry tools used in web development, production and implementation of interactive concepts, solutions and products
- knowledge of languages, concepts, techniques and industry tools used in web development and the development of interactive concepts, solutions and products
- knowledge of the most current process methods, tools and programming languages to ensure quality, efficiency and optimization of the work process
- knowledge of the most current tools used for testing websites, interactive solutions and products across platforms and operating systems
- knowledge of basic design principles and identity elements used in the development of digital products
- knowledge of how websites and interactive products are structured both logically and visually
- knowledge of how web technology communicates with back end systems
- evaluate sites, interactive solutions, web services and web content in relation to regulations and guidelines for universal design of ICT solutions and web standards
- industry knowledge about how interactive concepts and solutions should be prepared, presented and delivered both internally and externally and knowledge of methods of entrepreneurship in the field
- update their professional knowledge through relevant literature, lectures, online portals and developer communities both locally and internationally
- know the industry's history and the internet's structure
- insight into their own development opportunities and keep up to date with the latest trends and developments in the field
- explain the choice of tools, methods and techniques in planning, developing, design and testing of interactive products and web solutions
- account for the use of regulations and guidelines for universal design of ICT solutions and web standards
- reflect on their own practice as a Frontend Developer and adjust this with guidance and supervision
- reflect on user feedback or general technological trends and adjust their own professional practice accordingly
- find information and technical material relevant to an issue related to front-end development
- conduct a user test of new or existing interactive products or services, identify and document both visual and technical defects
- mapping the development of interactive products and services to be used on different platforms
- elaborate upon methods of entrepreneurship related to the area
- plan and conduct projects in web design and develop interactive products alone or as a group participant
- plan and implement Frontend mission in line with ethical standards, universal design guidelines, target groups or customer briefings
- plan visual and technical interactive web solutions and implement an interacive solution from initial idea til fully functional product
- execute user-friendly interactive solutions for selected target groups needs
- build relationships with graphic designers, interaction designers, programmers and content developers and participate in discussions about the development of interdisciplinary and innovative practices
- work as part of a team and a key person in projects that cross over into similar fields and show entrepreneurship in the area
- build relationships with external experts in social media, universal design and IT security
- contribute to precision, efficiency and quality control in a company both internally and externally through good development practice
Front-end developers from Noroff will create tomorrow’s websites, software and applications with a good understanding of user orientated design.Olav Slettahjell, Head of Studies
On completeion of your studies as a front-end developer, you will have the knowledge, skills and expertise in the development and production of user orientated solutions and services for web based and mobile devices. The programme’s main objective is to provide you with a practical and industrial training so that you are ready for employment after the two year course.
After completing your studies, there are a wide variety of career opportunities related to the subject area. Examples of these are working in design agencies, IT companies, software companies, media or communications. Industries are constantly changing as technology develops at a fast pace. Job descriptions will therefore vary and change over a relatively short period of time.
The course forms a basis for further studies in the field. Students with an educational background in front-end development can also combine this with Graphic Design or Digital Marketing.