Front-end Development is the technology education where visual design meets coding, web design and UX design. Front-end developers are in great demand, giving the students great career opportunities after graduation.
As a front-end developer, you write the code behind what you see and interact with when you open a website, a program or an app. There is an increasing need for developers who possess a combination of technical and visual expertise. This two-year education programme provides you with the skills for practical work within the main areas of developing interactive and dynamic products. The programme covers both design skills and technical programming skills.
Web and mobile devices
Front-end development is for those who wish to work with developing user-oriented solutions for web and mobile devices. The programme is suitable for beginners as well as those who have worked with traditional media and wish to expand their skills in developing digital solutions.
After completing the programme, you will have acquired skills and expertise in basic design principles, universal design, holistic user experiences and technical solutions which meet the requirements and needs of today.
During the first semester, you will already be designing and coding several web pages. The program is challenging, and it's fun! Ida Stensrud, student
Best practices for developers
In this programme you will learn best practices for developers. You will be able to produce interactive online solutions, both visually and technically, and implement an interactive solution from the conceptual stage until the final product. Students will build networks with graphic designers, interaction designers, programmers and content developers. They will further be able to collaborate with external specialist environments in the fields of social media, universal design, search engine optimization and IT security.
Learn coding and programming languages
The students will receive a thorough introduction to industry tools used for web development. You will learn principles for good design, how webpages and interactive products are built both logically and visually, and how website technologies communicate with back-end systems. You will gain insights into programming languages such as Java, C-based languages, Ruby, php, and Python, all of which have different strengths and weaknesses and different uses.
Sass is the main CSS tool the students will learn, but the programme also covers tools like Less, Stylus and the CSS framework Susy. Towards the end of the programme, the students will be introduced to Ajax to develop more advanced online solutions.
The programme focuses on developing products in the intersection between the customer experience and system development. The products we develop during the programme should have both a high aesthetic value, good functionality and correct technical execution. This means the students will learn about the design process, interaction design and programming. The main objective of the programme is to gain practical skills, and the training programme is largely comprised of practical assignments where you will be working with industry-specific tasks.
Students will get insights into how to exercise entrepreneurship. A professional life as a frontend developer requires expertise in workflows, automation and streamlining og both working processes and the product. The final project exam should be on a level where it can be used as an attachment to job applications or as a proposal for a real implementation.
Courses covered during the first year of study:
- Project methodology
- Web and communication technologies
- Design 1
- HTML and CSS
- Term assignment 1
- Interaction design
- Basic programming
- Workflows 1
- Portfolio review 1
- Project exam 1
Courses covered during the second year of study:
- CSS frameworks
- Design 2
- Term assignment 2
- Industry knowledge
- Workflows 2
- Portfolio review 2
- Project exam 2
You will gain:
- Knowledge of concepts and industry tools used in web development, production and implementation of interactive concepts, solutions and products.
- Knowledge of languages, concepts, techniques and industry tools that are used in web development and in the development of interactive concepts, solutions and products.
- Knowledge of the most up-to-date process methods, styling tools and programming languages for quality assurance, streamlining and optimization of the work process.
- Knowledge about the most up-to-date tools used in website testing, interactive solutions and products across platforms and operating systems.
- Knowledge about fundamental design principles and identity elements used to develop digital products.
- Knowledge about how websites and interactive products are structured both logically and visually.
- Knowledge about how website technologies communicate with back-end systems.
- Knowledge about how to review websites, interactive solutions, web services and web content in terms of compliance with regulations and guidelines for universal design of ICT solutions and web standards.
- Industry knowledge about how interactive concepts and solutions should be prepared, presented and delivered internally as well as externally, and knowledge about methods for entrepreneurship within the field.
- Updated professional knowledge through technical literature, lectures, online portals and developer communities both locally and internationally.
- Knowledge of the history of the industry and the development of the Internet.
- Insights into your personal potential for development and how to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and developments in the field.
- The ability to account for the choice of tools, methods and techniques during planning, development, design and testing of interactive products and web services.
- The ability to account for regulations and guidelines for universal design of ICT solutions and web standards.
- The ability to reflect on your own practice as a frontend developer, and to adjust it with proper guidance.
- The ability to reflect on user feedback or general technological trends, and adjust your own practices in line with these.
- The ability to find information and materials that are relevant for issues related to frontend development.
- The ability to conduct user testing of new or existing interactive products or services, and identify and document both visual and technical defects.
- The ability to review the development process for interactive products and services that will be used on different platforms.
- The ability to account for methods for entrepreneurship related to your field of expertise.
- The ability to plan and execute web design tasks and develop interactive products alone or as a group.
- The ability to plan and carry out frontend assignments in line with ethical standards, universal design guidelines, the needs of the target groups, or in line with customer briefs.
- The ability to plan interactive web solutions both visually and technically, and implement an interactive solution from the concept stage until the finished and fully operational end product.
- The ability to implement user-friendly interactive solutions according to the needs of selected target groups.
- The ability to build relationships with graphic designers, interaction designers, programmers and content developers, and participate in discussions on the development of interdisciplinary and future-oriented practices.
- The ability to act as a co-player and key person in projects that intersect with related professions and carry out entrepreneurship in your field of expertise.
- The ability to build relationships with external specialist environments in the fields of social media, universal design, search engine optimization and IT security.
- The ability to contribute to clarification, streamlining and quality assurance processes in a company, both internally and externally, through the use of best practices for developers.
I think the front-end program at Noroff is very good! It's incredibly satisfying when you succeed at what you're trying to accomplish.Morten Evensen, student
As a trained frontend developer you possess the knowledge, skills and expertise needed to develop and produce user-oriented solutions and services for web and mobile devices. The main objective of the programme is to provide you with a practical and industry-relevant education to prepare you for the working life after you graduate.
There is a great variety in job adverts related to this field for various businesses and professions. After you complete the programme, you will be able to work for businesses like design agencies, IT companies, software houses, media agencies or communication agencies. These industries are constantly changing due to rapid technological developments. Job descriptions will therefore vary and change over relatively short periods of time.
The education can also serve as a platform for further studies. Students who have studied Front-end Development can also combine these skills with Graphic Design or Digital Marketing.