Practical design education where students learn to work creatively with visual communication. Become a graphic designer and work with strategic design, illustration, photography, web design and animation.
A graphic designer works in an environment where every day is unique and each project is more colorful and exciting than the last. Even without prior knowledge, it is entirely possible to be a good graphic designer during the study. The most important is interest in the subject, a good work ethic and an ambitious nature.
Be an Independent Graphic Designer
At Noroff, you will explore graphic design through several disciplines, including visual communication, idea development, illustration, advertising, photography, web design and animation. The aim of Noroff graphic design education is that you will be a self-motivated and independent designer who can work well interdisciplinary.
With the development of digital devices, we need more skilled graphic designers. I think what we learn on the program becomes more in demand. Christina Krog, student
Innovative and Promotional
During the study period, you will be challenged with real, practical and relevant tasks. These assignments will give you a good idea of what life is like out in industry, and which issues you can expect to work with as a graphic designer.
Businesses compete for consumers' attention. The program teaches you to design to promote, sell, inform and create awareness about products and services. Through creative design and strategic messages, the student is taught how to increase competitive advantage in the market.
In the first year of the 2-year graphic design program students learn a practical guide of the principals, methods and techniques of effective visual communication both on paper and screen. You as a student will receive thorough training in design software and will receive a good understanding of the rules and standards that make up the graphic design industry.
During the second year you delve deeper into the design profession. You begin to research and find out who you are as a designer. You will be able to answers the questions such as: What do I like to work with? Or What style do I like most?
Towards the end of each semester, students will take part in making and presenting their portfolios. Each semester concludes with a comprehensive study project, which is aimed at consumers/customers.
- Graphic Design I
- Photography I
- Strategic Design I
- Portfolio Evaluation I
- Semester Project I
- Graphic Design II
- Screen Based Design I
- Photography II
- Portfolio Evaluation II
- Project Exam I
- Graphic Design III
- Strategic Design II
- Photography III
- Portfolio Evaluation III
- Semester Project II
- Graphic Design IV
- Screen Based Design II
- Photography IV
- Motion Design
- Portfolio Evaluation IV
- Project Exam II
What do you learn during your studies?
- key concepts in classical design theory and visual communication. You will know the basic elements of design discipline
- knowledge of the primary analog and digital tools used in the production of printed and digital products
- general principles in photography using both natural and studio lights and how to use a digital camera
- the processes and methods in identity design, branding and construction of visual identity
- the design process along with the understanding of the various activities such as planning, idea and concept development, manufacturing, commissioning and delivery of a design project according to a particular industry
- gain insight into the basic principles of universal design and along with understanding the importance of following the right procedures for usability and user interface
- an understanding of how the application of good design can support the creation of a company or organization
- how to work in cooperation with a client to prepare, design and deliver a finished product
- how to find relevant information and subject matter through local networks, design festivals, conferences, literature and online trend portals
- how to recognize customer design requirements and identify needs for the implementation of measures through the development of new design solutions
- ethical principals in the workplace through customer care
- how to develop relationships with different industries along with collaborating across different neighboring professions
- how to conduct a usability test of a new or existing website along with how to document visual and technical deficiencies
- how to find information and technical material relevant to an issue within the field of graphic design
- how to perform web assignments for selected target groups
As a graphic designer you can work in a design or advertising agency, a print shop, book industry or the film and television industry. Also, you can do design work for musicians, festivals, businesses or you can run your own business as a freelancer and be self-employed.
Graphic design is incredibly exciting but also very demanding. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. Øyvind Tverrli, student
In larger companies, a graphic designer could work in their marketing department. You could update corporate profiles, design new marketing materials or perform maintenance on existence marketing material keeping it up-to-date.
As you gain experience you could work as an art director having the responsibility for working with major clients on more comprehensive projects. In addition, you can work as an information consultant who specializes in media and information structures.
After two years at Noroff it is possible to study graphic design for a third year - abroad - and receive a bachelor's degree. Our foreign partners for graphic design are: Teesside University in England and Deakin University in Australia. This option also applies to online students.
Digital Marketing is an option for students who wish to build on their design skills and technical expertise in web design. The study focuses on the tools that can bring a company increased visibility on the Internet through ad networks, social media and the company's own website.