Work creatively with technology. This education teaches you to design and animate digital models and characters for movies, games and virtual reality across industries.
Animation and Visual Communication
Animation is a widely used tool in visual communication. As an animator you can find work within film, television, games, and commercials. Animation technology is applied in many other industries such as 3D/2D visualization, health, and teaching.
During this degree program students will learn how to develop animation concepts from initial design to finished product. They will learn the skills to bring life to their animation concepts; through industry standard modeling, rigging and animation techniques. After graduating from the program you will be able to work with animations, character design, and other interactive media products.
Noroff is an awesome school to study at if you are interested in the creative fields. The teachers are professional, friendly and helpful.Sarah Falsig Valeur
By combining traditional design skills and creative processes with cutting-edge technologies the study program focuses on highlighting your creative skills. Students will also learn about the motion capture process and how it is used to capture data to drive an animated character.
During the first year of the degree, students will explore the theoretical foundation of visual culture. They will learn important characteristics of animation such as: movement analysis, rigging, communication skills and software knowledge.
The second year focuses more in depth on the methods and processes used to develop animation concepts and techniques. Students begin to focus on their character’s movements and motor skills, which are used later to create authentic movement. Student will also learn about basic human anatomy, so that they can add more physicality when they animate their human characters.
The third year is centered around a final project of the student’s own design, supporting every step in making an animated short, from storyboarding, to final render. The main goal of the year is to prepare for entry into the animation industry, producing a strong portfolio used in applying for jobs, and to encourage entrepreneurship.
- Problem Based Learning and Research Methodologies
- Form and Context
- Animation Craft
- 3D Animation 1
- 3D Rigging 1 (Environment)
- Studio 1
- 3D Rigging 2 (Character)
- 3D Animation 2 (Character Studies)
- 3D Animation 3
- Studio 2
- Procedural Animation
- Design for Motion
- Design for Interactivity
- Studio 3
- Knowledge of important topics, theories, issues, processes, tools and methods within the fields of Interactive Media and Animation
- Demonstrate familiarity with current research and development work in the general Interactive Media and Animation field
- Knowledge of the key principles, theories, tools and techniques in the area of Interactive Media (Animation), ability to evaluate these tools and techniques, and to apply them in a variety of situations
- Demonstrate ability to update his/her knowledge in the area of Interactive Media (Animation), both through academic study and professional development
- Knowledge of the history, traditions, and distinctive character of Interactive Media (Animation) and its place in, and potential impact on society
- Understand social, psychological and ethical issues relating to Interactive Media (Animation) and
presenting the results to stakeholders
- Knowledge of applying Interactive Media principles, tools and techniques within complex scientific and industrial fields
- Demonstrate the ability to apply academic knowledge and relevant results of research and development work to practical and theoretical Interactive Media (Animation), and make well-founded, informed and justified decisions and choices
- Demonstrate ability to reflect upon own academic practice and professional development, identify areas for improvement, and to adapt to future tools, techniques and technology
- Demonstrate ability to find, evaluate and refer to information and scholarly subject matter and present it in a manner that sheds light on the problem
- Demonstrate ability to appropriately and effectively create and develop Interactive Media and Animation projects in an appropriate multimedia format for each particular challenge
- Demonstrate ability to select and use the primary tools and techniques for managing, manipulating and visualising data in an appropriate and professional manor
- To critically select and apply a range of analytical and methodological problem solving techniques, based on research, and to be able to interpret the solutions and present results appropriately
- The ability to identify appropriate stakeholders and communicate, network and collaborate with these stakeholders at an appropriate level
- Identify and appropriately act on complex ethical issues arising within academic and professional practice within the specialist field of Interactive Media (Animation)
- Plan, execute and manage a variety of assignments and projects over time, alone or as part of a group, to successful conclusion and in accordance with ethical requirements and principles
- Communicate effectively using appropriate forms of communication electronically, orally and written, being able to present problems, solutions, theories and academic arguments in a professional manner
- Communicate and exchange opinions, ideas and other subject matters such as theories, problems and solutions, with others with background and/or experience in Interactive Media (Animation), through the selection and application of appropriate methods of communication, thereby contributing to the development of good practice within the community of practice
- Demonstrate the ability for self-reflection as part of a lifelong learning strategy
- Familiarity with current and new thinking and trends within the field of Interactive Media (Animation), and innovations in the field
For 2021 August intake, we recommend the following:
32 GB RAM (Minimum 16 GB).
Microsoft® Windows® 10 or Apple® Mac OS® X 10.13.x or higher OS
64-bit Intel® or AMD® multi-core processor with SSE4.2 instruction set.
Geforce RTX / GTX, or Radeon Pro W (Minimum Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 or Radeon FirePro).
- A reliable internet connection.
- A Wacom Drawing Tablet link
- Autodesk Maya: free from Autodesk – link
- Microsoft Office: free from Microsoft – link
- Adobe CC, or CS6: 20 dollars per/mnth – link (or own choice of AV software).
- zBrush core - link
The expertise and skills you will achieve during this degree will provide you with opportunities for a career in a wide range of industries. Animation is used in the entertainment industry as well as health, e-learning, oil and gas, mobile applications, military technologies and engineering industries.
Students with a bachelor's degree in interactive media - animation can apply to higher education related to art and design studies containing animation courses at the master's and doctoral level. This can be done in Norway or at other various universities around the world.