Become a back-end developer and work with creating web solutions for the future. Back-end developers are in very high demand, topping the list of "the most in-demand tech jobs of 2022".
Back-end developers do the work that is not visible to the naked eye, but that is crucial to the functionality of the software solution. They develop the core fundamentals of the solution, and they work with a wide range of technology. It is an exciting and ever-changing field of work where you always will be able to develop your skills and learn new technologies.
Back-end developers serve a vital role in any organisation concerned with offering services via web and are integral to the creation and maintenance of all manner of server-based software solutions. These services may be required to cooperate with front-end solutions or independently, which necessitates that a competent back-end developer is highly skilled in developing complete robust server solutions and is able to integrate with modern front-end technologies.
In high demand
In a survey conducted by a developer hiring platform, back-end developers top the list of in-demand tech jobs in 2022. As a skilled back-end developer with experience with development programming languages, understanding of development lifecycle, and familiarity with front-end languages, your expertise will be highly sought-after in the labour market.
As a candidate for the programme, you will learn technical programming skills which are pivotal to the profession. You will also learn supplementary skills which will enable you to work both independently and as a productive member of a software development team.
The programme focuses on practical skills and applicable solutions to the field of web server development. All aspects of development of web solutions are considered, and solutions to deployment of web services using industry accepted technologies are presented.
The programme incorporates numerous practical based assignments which ensure candidates are provided with a means to practice and apply the relevant theory presented within the programme. The candidates are able to grow their competence through professional workflows and software methodologies which are commonly used by professional back-end developers.
Courses in Back-end Development:
- Programming Foundations
- Front-End Technologies
- Programming with Objects
- Project Methodology
- Semester Project
- REST APIs
- Server Deployment
- Exam Project
After graduation the candidates possess the following learning outcomes:
- has knowledge of primary concepts, core ideas and general methods that are used in programming
- has knowledge of development and debugging processes and tools that are used in developer enabled web browsers and extensions
- has knowledge of processes, principles and tools that are used to build and maintain databases
- has knowledge of REST APIs and solutions that are used to create fast accessible data on the web
- has knowledge of software development lifecycle stages, frontend technologies management processes, and tools that are used in the field of web and back-end development
- has insights into relevant GDPR standards, regulations and quality requirements for back-end development
- has knowledge of the software development industry and is familiar with the associated work and developer roles
- understands the importance of back-end development in a societal and value-creation perspective
- can apply knowledge of programming principles to efficiently develop web and back-end solutions
- can apply knowledge of databases to enhance the functionality and performance of data-centric solutions
- masters relevant tools and techniques to create and enhance the functionality of static web pages
- can find information and material about GDPR regulations that are relevant to a project
- understands the ethical principles that apply to development and maintenance of web solutions intended for public use
- understands the ethical principles that apply to GDPR compliance in software development
- has developed an ethical attitude in relation to back-end and software development
- can build relations with his/her peers, also across disciplines and with external software developers
- can develop projects and solutions of relevance to the software development industry
We recommend the following:
500 GB Hard drive (or 250 GB + cloud storage: fx. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive (recommended)).
8 GB RAM.
Core i5 processor.
Both PC and Mac are applicable.
You will be able to work in both national and international companies in need of back-end developers. Back-end developers form a crucial role in business technology solutions and there are numerous job listings relevant to skilled back-end developers. You will be able to pursue positions as both an in-house developer for a business aiming at developing their own solutions, or you may work for a specialized software development firm which caters for the bespoken needs of their clients.
The software developer realm is fast paced and ever-changing, but the core tenets of the role of back-end developer will persist throughout these changes.