Online Studies 2 years Higher Professional Degree
This two year study program will make you highly employable. Back-end developers play an important role in any organisation or business that wants to offer effective digital services and updated server-based solutions. The services can require development against front-end solutions or independent work as a back-end developer.
The first year of this two year study program is identical to the Back-end Development one year program. You can still apply directly into this two year program, and secure your place for the full two years.
Work as a back-end or full-stack developer
After completing the program, you will be able to work in national and international companies needing back-end or full-stack developers. The need for this competency is increasing, and the job prospects are excellent. You can work in businesses that are involved in developing internal solutions or in specialised software companies that tailor solutions for their customers.
Courses in Back-end Development, first year:
- Programming Foundations
- Front-End Technologies
- Programming with Objects
- Project Methodology
- Semester Project
- REST APIs
- Server Deployment
- Exam Project
Courses in Back-end Development, second year:
- Database Technologies
- Cloud Services
- Information Security
- Data Warehousing
- Back-end Technologies
- Front-end Technologies
- Exam Project
Learning outcomes for the first year can be found on this page. Here follow the learning outcomes for the second year:
- has knowledge of industry-relevant concepts, theories, models, processes and tools that are used in Back-end software development
- has knowledge of services, processes and tools relevant to database technologies and cloud services
- has knowledge of theories and industry-relevant approaches that are used in data warehousing to analyse and report data
- has knowledge of industry-relevant Front-end and Back-end frameworks that are used in Full-stack application development
- can assess own work with databases and cloud services in relation to information security and data privacy regulations
- is familiar with the history, traditions, distinctive nature and place in the society of Back-end software development
- has insight into own opportunities for development in planning, designing and creating Back-end software solutions
- can explain vocational choices of tools, methods and techniques used in planning, developing and design of Back-end solutions
- can explain vocational choices of database technologies and cloud-based services relevant to software and Back-end development
- can explain vocational choices of Front-end and Back-end frameworks used in Full-stack application development
- can explain vocational choices in data warehousing system building and data analysis and reporting
- can reflect over the practice as a Back-end developer and adjust it under supervision
- can reflect over choices in integrating cloud-based technologies
- can find and refer to information and vocational material and assess its relevance to Back-end and software development
- can find and refer to information and vocational material and assess its relevance to integrating cloud services into existing solutions
- can find and refer to information relating to information security regulations, best practices and their relevance to Back-end solutions
- can plan and carry out vocational tasks and projects alone or as part of a group and in accordance with ethical requirements and principles in the field of Back-end development
- can exchange points of view with others with a background in programming, Back-end and Front-end disciplines and participate in discussions about the development of good developer practice
- can contribute to organisational quality assurance, streamlining and optimisation both internal and external through Back-end development practices
We recommend the following:
500 GB Hard drive (or 250 GB + cloud storage: fx. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive (recommended)).
16 GB RAM.
Core i7 processor.
Both PC and Mac are applicable.
Watch recording of livestream
We recommend watching the latest livestream on Back-end Development, hosted by Frederick Johannes Botha 15 March 2023.