UX Design is a one year technology programme focusing on user experience. Become a UX designer and acquire practical skills in usability testing, wireframing, prototyping and interaction design.
UX design, or user experience design, is about streamlining the experience of a human user and her interactions with digital products, services and systems. The interactions seeks to maximize the user’s feeling of accomplishment while keeping frustrations to a minimum.
UX designers with complete competence in the concepts, processes, methods, tools, and techniques in user-centric design practices are in high demand. The main objective of the program is to provide you with practical and relevant training in the user experience design area, and make you ready for employment after graduating.
Understanding the user
The programme teaches students to create interactions with users that are both personal and intuitive, and focus on building a more profound understanding with users including their shared values, abilities, needs, and limitations.
By focusing on creating a deep understanding of users, UX design practices have risen in demand. UX designers are vital in the development of effective interaction practices, and the industry seeks to provide the skills and competencies acquired in this programme.
UX design is about putting the user first. We see more companies doing just this, and the need for UX designers is constantly growing. Fredrik Melby, Effera Digital
Ready for employment
The programme balances theoretical and practical applications, which is crucial for professional development. Students will acquire knowledge, skills, and competence in research and insight, wireframing and prototyping, usability testing and basic interaction and design principles. Students who complete the programme will be able to work individually and build relations with other designers, users, and stakeholders.
The education is aimed towards people that want to create a successful user-centered design by having a deeper understanding of users, their needs, values, abilities, and also their limitations. The programme is open to candidates with no prior experience but also for those who have worked in other related subject areas or with a relevant educational background.
The programme focuses on developing practical skills within the most important aspects of user experience design, and the main goal is mastering these practical skills. The training programme is largely comprised of practical assignments where you will be working with industry-specific tasks. The teaching staff will introduce daily learning activities and larger mandatory assignments.
A professional life as a UX desinger requires expertise in project planning, workflows, and streamlining working processes and the product itself. The final project exam will be applicable as an attachment to job applications or as a proposal for a real production.
Courses covered during the first semester of study:
- Research and Insight
- Ideation and Planning
- Usability Testing 1
- Semester Assignment
Courses covered during the second semester of study:
- Interaction Design Foundations
- UX Design for Mobile Devices
- Usability Testing 2
- Project Exam
- has knowledge of central principles, methods and tools that are used in UX Design
- has knowledge of principles and methods that are used for user research and insights and its relevance for developing experiences with user needs in focus
- has knowledge of ideation and planning methods that are used to find the best solution based on user needs
- has knowledge of processes, methods and tools that are used in wireframing and usability testing with prototypes
- has knowledge of the mobile-first principle and methods that are used to create user experiences for different screen sizes
- has insight into Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and essential interaction design principles that are used in UX Design
- has insight into WCAG, ethical principles and norms of relevance to user experience development that involves participants and real users
- can update his/her own knowledge related to the field of UX Design
- understands the importance of the UX Design discipline as a method to create effective and user-centric digital experiences
- understands the importance of empathy and inclusive design mentality to develop user experiences available for all users
- can apply knowledge to organise and facilitate ideation workshops with the aim to find the best solution for user needs
- can apply knowledge to create user experiences available for all users following the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- can apply knowledge to create user experiences for mobile devices following the mobilefirst principle
- masters relevant methods and tools that are used in user research to organise, conduct and document results and insights
- masters relevant techniques and tools to create wirefames and prototypes, and conduct usability testing
- masters relevant techniques and tools to present user research findings, ideation results, prototypes and usability test outcomes
- can find information about current trends, techniques and materials that are relevant for UX Design
- can study a UX project and identify user experience issues and what measures needs to be implemented
- understands the ethical principles and restrictions for personal data conducting and storage when recruiting and engaging participants
- has developed an ethical attitude in relation to the field of UX Design and understands the complexity of user needs and accessibility in user-centred experiences
- can carry out UX projects consisting of user research, ideation, prototyping and usability testing based on the needs of specific target groups, alone or as part of a group
- can build relations with his/her peers and collaborate with project owners, users and interaction designers
- can develop user-centred experiences for web sites and web applications of relevance based on different user needs and audiences
After completing the program you will be able to work in both national and international companies that specialize in product and service development, digital solution development, accessibility, information visualization and the X-reality area. Companies are currently adapting, as technology is changing rapidly. Job descriptions are therefore very dynamic.
The education can serve as a platform for further studies. Students who have completed UX Design can also combine these skills with Front-end Development, Graphic Design or Digital Marketing.