Online Studies 1 year Professional Degree
Practical education in technical design where you learn to draw, model and visualise buildings and modern constructions within building design, concept modelling and BIM.
The transition from traditional 2D drawings to 3D models and increased focus on visualisation has led to an increase in demand for skilled professionals with solid digital expertise that can be applied to larger projects. CAD, or computer-aided design, is a dynamic field that requires mastery of software and technology. In the program, we work with custom software to maximize your learning experience.
Building Information and Architectural Modelling
The program provides competence in both constructing complete construction drawings, and modelling houses and commercial buildings which can be used further to create visualisations using topology and coordinates. . The program also places emphasis on producing presentation material that can later be used as a portfolio in a job application process or as visuals for sales. Many of our students take this program as advanced training and move on to employment after completion, while others use it as preparation for engineering- or architecture studies.
The program covers subjects in 2D drawing, 3D modelling, and visualisation. You will receive a thorough introduction to all three and learn to use modern and professionally updated tools and techniques.
You will learn how to plan drawings and models, anticipate challenges, and solve problems in a constructive manner. By the end of the program, you will be able to create and deliver comprehensive product designs, drawings and models of constructions in close collaboration with architects, engineers, and drafting technicians. You will have competence in basic design principles, universal design, holistic user experience, and technical solutions that meet current requirements.
- Technical Drawing
- 3D Mechanical
- 3D Architectural
- Semester Project
- Architectural Modelling
- Building Information Modelling
- CAD Project
- Exam Project
- has knowledge of concepts, theories and terminology that are used in CAD industries
- has knowledge of relevant processes and tools that are used to plan and document 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional CAD projects
- has knowledge of concepts, processes and tools that are used for technical drawings and documentation in a CAD project
- has knowledge of concepts, processes and tools that are used in professional visualisations
- has insight into relevant regulations, standards and quality requirements for technical content creation
- has a knowledge of the CAD industry and is familiar with professional workflows for developing and presenting CAD projects
- can update his/her knowledge of CAD workflows, tools and techniques
- understands the importance of timely and complete deliveries and the required level of professionalism during a collaborative project
- can apply knowledge of 3D models and technical drawings to perform modifications based on design intent and new information
- can apply knowledge of 3D models and technical drawings to plan a multidisciplinary project
- master’s relevant tools and techniques to create CAD models and technical drawings
- master's relevant tools and techniques for visualising CAD models
- master’s relevant tools and techniques for Building Information Models, geospatial topology and information handling
- can find information and material that is relevant to the production of CAD models and technical drawings
- can find information and material that is relevant to professional visualisations
- can study elements in a CAD project and identify issues and what measures need to be implemented
- can study an architectural 3D model and identify issues, and what measures need to be implemented for optimised design
- understands the principles and requirements in standards, regulations and requirements that apply in the architectural and mechanical industry
- has developed a professional attitude in relation to quality requirements and his/her own productions and project documentation
- can carry out professional 2D and 3D work based on specifications
- can build relations with his/her peers, also across disciplinary boundaries, and with professionals about best practices and CAD workflows
- can develop 3D models and technical drawings of relevance to CAD projects
Intel i7 processor.
Microsoft® Windows® 10.
Graphics card 2060 RTX or better.
Minimum 16 GB of RAM.
Storage: SSD of at least 256GB, or a smaller SSD in conjunction with a larger spinning hard drive.
2 external monitors. The combination of screens should include one high resolution screen.
3Dconnexion Space Navigator.
PC not MAC - programs are not compatible with MAC or work less optimally.
Equipment recommendations are based on suppliers' system requirements for the programs used.
Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk Revit, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Solibri, Visualisation software (Enscape/3dsMAX/Blender/Unreal or similar). (Program overview not final, final version issued before startup).
Cost of software:
Approximately NOK 1,000 per year must be expected. Free alternatives can be used but are not recommended.
Job opportunities as a BIM Operator
As a skilled and proactive BIM operator there are generally good job opportunities in the construction industry. You have the advantage of being able to produce construction drawings and visualisation material for both presentations and sales.
After this one-year programme, many students are job-ready. If you want to dive deeper into the field of technical design, and become more qualified for a job within the building- and construction industry, you can apply directly into second year of the two-year programme Technical Design - Building Information Modelling - BIM.