Vocational School 2 years Online Studies
The products of tomorrow are manufactured and tested digitally. Get ready for a career in the process and manufacturing industry with a leading-edge education that teaches you to design physical products using 3D printing.
Digital Prototyping is a modern education program that will give students career opportunities in many different industries. The study program provides practical skills in mechanical and conceptual design, which – in combination with statics for product development, simulation with analysis, and rapid prototyping using 3D printing – provide a solid foundation for Design Thinking.
The production industries are changing. The need for personnel with practical skills in modern processes for product development rises in tune with the digital transformation. Digital Prototyping aims to take part in this digital transformation by focusing on design, optimization, quality assurance and visualization of products before they go into production.
A central part of the new industrial transformation is additive manufacturing, which allows you to manufacture products from nothing by adding material. This marks a fundamental change to the traditional way of manufacturing, where one removes material bit by bit, until you reach reached the desired shape of the product.
Through modern processes for product development, Digital Prototyping teach students to produce cost and time effective products that take advantage of additive manufacturing, and to create products that can compete with and surpass traditional manufacturing techniques.
The education is structured to provide students with knowledge and skills through lectures and teacher guided self-study, practical activities and industry-relevant assignments. Students will learn how to use professional 3D CAD software in correlation with 3D printers to create and develop future products.
By providing insight into the production processes, we aim to graduate students (establish graduates) that function more efficiently as part of a larger production team, where they work in close collaboration with technicians, engineers and project managers in the execution of projects ready for manufacturing.
Through close collaboration with relevant industries, Noroff actively charts current and future trends in the job market to ensure we educate the technical drafters of tomorrow.
The program is aimed towards people that wants to work with the production of technical models and constructions in 2D and 3D. Drawings and models form the foundation to produce various products in several fields, such as mechanical industries and electronics, in addition to product design for tools, furniture and other components.
The education is suitable for people with no prior experience, as well as further education for people with a background from mechanics, machining, manufacturing, engineering, product development, process industry and visualization.
- Technical Drawing 2D
- Technical Drawing 3D
- Visualization 1
- Semester Assignment 1
- Product Design
- Visualization 2
- CAD Project
- Project Exam 1
- Product Life-Cycle Management
- Quality Assurance
- Construction Methodology
- Construction Techniques
- Production Techniques
- Conceptual Design
- Semester Assignment 2
- Industry Knowledge
- Project Revision
- Work Experience
- Project Exam 2
After graduation, the following learning outcomes are met:
- has knowledge of concepts, theories and terminology used in Digital Prototyping for planning, analysis, production, construction, documentation, sharing files, visualization and post-production
- has knowledge of relevant processes for concept development, planning, 2D drawing and 3D modeling, visualization and assembly functions in relations to mechanical design
- has knowledge of tool and techniques for production, modification and maintaining technical drawings, mechanical prototypes and documents, as well as producing images and video presentation material
- has knowledge of processes, techniques and tools for collaborating with fellow students or external customers, such as project leaders, engineers and suppliers within technical productions
- has insight into relevant regulations and standardized procedures for designing technical content in relations to mechanical industries and product development
- has insight into the importance of professionalism in the field of expertise and understands the importance of timely and complete deliveries
- has insight into quality requirements for accuracy in completed drawings and models, as well as completed documents in productions
- has insight into current standards for statics and dimensioning for designing his/her own constructions
- can assess his/her own choices of production methods for different construction types for prototyping and testing
- is familiar with professions and work processes within construction companies, process industry and product design
- can update his/her knowledge related to requirements in productions, software and the completion of products within the industry
- is familiar with professional workflows within different sectors of mechanical industry and professionals as part of a team
- understands the importance of his/her role in planning, manufacturing and presentation of mechanical products, and the values a candidate must strive for to engage potential employers in a demanding industry
- has industry knowledge and is familiar with different roles, positions and functions in the field
- has insight into his/her own opportunities for development and innovation within Digital Prototyping
- can apply knowledge of technical 2D drawings and 3D models for design modification based on new information from an employer or customer
- can apply knowledge for analyzing drawings and models and plan productions across software for external customers, either alone or as part of a group
- masters tools for 2D drawing and 3D model productions and apply relevant techniques to accurately display details and functionality with tables and attributes
- masters tools for rendering and apply knowledge of post-process techniques to improve the results of images
- masters relevant techniques for production and modifying camera and object animations and apply knowledge of post-process techniques to video montages
- masters tools for prototyping and producing parametric solid models and apply knowledge about documentation management when sharing resources and completing a project
- masters basic digital tools for calculating tension and deformation in mechanical constructs
- can explain his/her own choice of design concepts and follow the product life-cycle from idea to finished physically scaled model
- can explain his/her own technical performance of statics and dimensioning mechanical constructs
- can reflect over his/her own production process and modify drawings, prototypes and documents of mechanical constructs for optimized design
- can study digital productions and identify deviation issues through analysis and what measures need to be implemented
- can find and refer to information on relevant regulations, standardized procedures and requirements for the production of technical content in mechanical engineering
- can assess the relevance of external sources and subject matter to issues and refer to relevant sections and solutions
General Competence: Candidates
- understands the connection between standardized regulations and the requirements for accurate productions in Digital Prototyping
- has developed an ethical attitude in relation to his/her own productions and the delivery of flawless and complete documentation according to industry standards
- can build interdisciplinary relations with engineers, CAD operators and suppliers across competence areas
- can plan and carry out major projects and adjust his/her own work according to scope, explain challenges and find solutions for implementing productions from idea to finished product
- can carry out work in the field of Digital Prototyping that conforms to industry requirements and guidelines, either alone or as part of a group or for customers and suppliers in mechanical engineering
- can carry out professional 2D and 3D work according to specifications from customers and the needs of selected target groups
- can build relations with his/her peers, also across disciplinary boundaries in construction companies, process industry and mechanical engineering
- can exchange points of view and participate in discussions on practical solutions in designing and documenting of relevant work in the field of Digital Prototyping
- can contribute with updated knowledge and skills with digital tools to streamline drawing, modeling and documentation processes in mechanical engineering and product development
We recommend a workstation instead of a laptop (mostly because of functionality and price).
In addition, the following is recommended:
Intel i7 processor.
Microsoft® Windows® 10
Graphics Card 2060 RTX or better.
Minimum 16 GB RAM
Storage: SSD with minimum 256 GB storage, or a smaller SSD in co-operation with a larger spinning disk.
It is also recommended that you have 2 high resolution monitors and 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator.
We recommend PC over Mac because some of the required software is not supported by Mac.
After graduation, you will be equipped to complete projects both national and internationally in mechanical, process and construction companies, in addition to professionally visualize products.
Relevant positions after graduation can for example be mechanical designer, product designer, 3D developer, product visualization, structure technician, CAD operator and technical drafter. Our students will function in collaboration with engineers, entrepreneurs and designers within specialized fields, such as mass production and rapid prototyping.
Skills in technical drawing is essential. People with this knowledge is of interest to our product departments.Signe Berger Godtfredsen, Cameron
Companies are in constant change as technology is rapidly evolving. Employment and available positions will therefore vary and change over a short time span. The programs main goal is to provide graduates with a practical and professional education within the subject area in preparation for a job in a future-oriented field.
Norway has multiple specialization and degree programs in Engineering or Mechanical Design, should you want to build your education even further. As a graduate from Digital Prototyping you will be both practically and technically qualified.