Find a staff member
Dr. Isah A. Lawal, B.Eng. (Hons.), M.Sc., Ph.D., MIET.
- Program Leader / Associate Professor, Applied Data Science
Dr. Isah A. Lawal was an Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Fellow with over ten years of professional work experience, including teaching and research. He has participated in several collaborative multidisciplinary research projects at different universities including Europe (Italy and United Kingdom) and the Middle East (Saudi Arabia), and have authored several articles in peer-reviewed journals and conferences ranging from data-driven predictive modelling to machine learning for smart systems. In addition to actively engaging in research, he has also taught data mining, smart systems and artificial intelligent courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Dr. Isah’s research interests include the multidisciplinary application of machine learning techniques, data mining, and smart systems. He has supervised and examined several undergraduate projects and masters’ thesis in those areas.
- Statistical Data Analysis
- Data Visualisation
- Natural Language Processing
CONSULTANCY, COMMERICAL WORK AND INDUSTRIAL CONNECTIONS
Dr. Isah is currently participating in the EEA granted data-driven public administration project as a consultant for the Department for Strategic Development and Coordination of Public Administration, Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic. The project involves using big data analytics to analyse public mobility from mobile positioning data, to efficiently plan and distribute public services and public administration in the Czech Republic.
PEER REVIEW ROLES
- Reviewer for Neurocomputing
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics
- Reviewer for European Conference on Impact of AI and Robotic (ECIAIR 2019)
- Reviewer for International Joint Conference on Computer Vision, Imaging and Computer Graphics Theory and Applications (VISAPP 2019)
- Reviewer for European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks (ESANN 2017)
- IA. Lawal, (2020) “GMDH Modelling for Mobile User Throughput Forecasting", 35th ACM/SIGAPP Symposium on Applied Computing, Brno, Czech Republic
- Muhidul Islam Khan and IA. Lawal, (2020) “Sec-IoT: A framework for secured decentralised IoT using blockchain-based technology", 4th International Congress on Information and Communication Technology Briton, UK
- IA. Lawal, S. Bano, (2019) “Deep human activity recognition using wearable sensors”, International Conference on Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments, Greece
- IA. Lawal, (2019) “A survey of methods of incremental support vector machine learning”, In: Sayed-Mouchaweh M. (eds) Learning from Data Streams in Evolving Environments. Studies in Big Data, vol 41. Springer
- Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), USA
- Member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), UK