Find a staff member
Dr. Isah A. Lawal, B.Eng. (Hons.), M.Sc., Ph.D., MIET.
- Program Leader / Associate Professor, Applied Data Science
Dr Isah A. Lawal received a joint Ph.D. degree in Interactive and Cognitive Environments (machine learning for video analytics) from University of Genoa, Italy, and Queen Mary University of London, UK. He has over ten years of professional work experiences, including teaching and research acquired through participation in collaborative multidisciplinary research projects at different universities including Europe (Italy and United Kingdom) and the Middle East (Saudi Arabia). Dr Isah have also authored several articles in peer reviewed journals and conferences ranging from data-driven predictive modelling to machine learning for smart systems. In addition to actively engaging in research, he has also taught data mining and artificial intelligent courses at both undergraduate postgraduate level.
Dr Isah’s research interests include multidisciplinary application of machine learning techniques, data mining and smart systems. He has supervised and examined a number of undergraduate projects and masters’ thesis in those areas.
CONSULTANCY, COMMERICAL WORK AND INDUSTRIAL CONNECTIONS
Dr Isah is currently participating in EEA granted project as a consultant for the Department for Strategic Development and Coordination of Public Administration, Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic.
PAST RESEARCH PROJECTS
Machine Learning methods for adaptive human-centred monitoring system (2011-2015), European Commission project through the EACEA Agency under Grant 2010-0012.
Automatic Arabic Check Analysis and Recognition (2010-2012), KFUPM Research Group Project # ARG 092001 and ARG 092002.
Scientific committee member for European Conference on Impact of AI and Robotic (ECIAIR).
A reviewer for European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks (ESANN), Journal of Neurocomputing and IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics
- IA. Lawal, (2017) “Spoken Character Classification Using Abductive Network”, International Journal of Speech Technology, 20 (4), pp. 881-890
- IA. Lawal, and SA Abdulkarim, (2017) “Adaptive SVM for data stream classification” South African Computer Journal 29 (1), pp. 27-42
- S. A. Abdulkarim, and IA. Lawal, (2017) “A Cooperative Neural Network Approach for Enhancing Data Traffic Prediction” Turkish Journal of Elec. Eng & Comp Sci., 25 (6), 4746-4756
- IA. Lawal, F. Poiesi, D. Anguita, A. Cavallaro. (2016) “Support Vector Motion Clustering” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 27 (11), pp. 2395-2408
- IA. Lawal, S. Bano, (2019) “Deep human activity recognition using wearable sensors”, International Conference on Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments, Greece
- IA. Lawal, S. A. Abdulkarim, MK Hassan, J. M. Sadiq, (2016) “Improving HSDPA traffic forecasting using an ensemble of neural networks”, Intentional Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, USA.
- IA. Lawal, (2019) “A survey of methods of incremental support vector machine learning”, In: Sayed-Mouchaweh M. (eds) Learning from Data Streams in Evolving Environments. Studies in Big Data, vol 41. Springer
Member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), UK